Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:07:39 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
To:        Gregory Carvalho <GregoryC@stcinc.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ports and applications

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Gregory Carvalho wrote:

> Using ipfw I am allowing port 80 through the wall (could you imagine if
> I denied the good people of Gotham their web fix). Suppose I deny
> telnet, but some external server has its telnet server configured for
> port 80. Is there a method to prevent the telnet session from operating?

	Why would anyone run telnet on port 80?

	Is this an incoming or outgoing telnet session?  I'm assuming
	outoing telnet sessions. The only thing I can think of is running
	the machines through a proxy server.

> FreeBSD 3.1-Release off the CDROM.
>
> Cordially,
> Gregory Carvalho		GregoryC@stcinc.com
> Simplified Technology Company	http://www.stcinc.com
> In God I Trust!

Nick Rogness		    	 "Never settle with words what
System Administrator	          can be accomplished with a
RapidNet, INC   		  flame-thrower"
nick@rapidnet.com