Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 18:44:27 -0800
From:      Randy Primeaux <randy@Cloudfactory.ORG>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   system freeze

Issue:
I had a system freeze this week, and upon boot the next day, found:

/dev/ad4s1f: CANNOT READ: BLK 16
/dev/ad4s1f: NOT LABELED AS A BSD FILE SYSTEM (unused)

/dev/ad4s1f is /usr including /usr/home

Questions/concerns:
I'd like to pin down the cause of the freeze.

I'd like to contribute data regarding the freeze, if it will benefit
future software development.

I plan to preserve the DTLA disk, as I'd like to recover the data if
possible, but I'm not sure how to recover.  Can you offer any guidance
or url's regarding data recovery from that filesystem?

I plan to build a new desktop system on same (new) hardware, with a
new pair of disks using software raid-1.  I've been following the
RAID-5 discussion on -stable list, but I'm still back at January 5th,
and trying to catch up, and not yet knowledgeable regarding RAID.  I'm
currently reading through Greg Lehey's vinum docs.

Is software or hardware RAID preferred?

Details:
As of the first week of January, I was running the following:
Asus P5A
AMD K6-III/400
128MB PC-100
IBM DTLA 307030
pci audio
cd-rom
running 4-STABLE from Dec 20, 2000.

Some time between the 1st and the 11th, I enabled softupdates on /usr

On the 15th, I bought:
Asus A7V
AMD Athlon Thunderbird 800
128MB PC-133
Cooler Master fan

I completed the upgrade on Friday the 19th, after recompiling the
kernel with I686_CPU support, and adjusting /etc/fstab .
I do not overclock.

I log to my fileserver, and logs from that evening show:

Jan 19 22:01:45 daemon sudo:    randy : TTY=ttyp3 ; PWD=/usr/ports/graphics/xanim ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/make install
Jan 19 22:56:29 daemon sudo:    randy : TTY=ttyp3 ; PWD=/usr/ports/graphics/xanim ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/make clean
Jan 19 22:57:22 daemon sudo:    randy : TTY=ttyp3 ; PWD=/usr/ports ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/make update
Jan 19 22:57:35 daemon /kernel: dc0: TX underrun -- increasing TX threshold
Jan 19 22:57:57 daemon last message repeated 2 times
Jan 19 22:57:58 daemon /kernel: dc0: TX underrun -- using store and forward mode

I think the system froze at this point.  It was the last log message
from "daemon".  The desktop and mouse froze, and I could not ssh to
daemon from another system on my network.

I was running setiathome, tkseti, tkined, picmonger, `make update` in
ports, xwindows, netscape, xmms, ntpd, healthd, mrtg, gnome-terminals,
and probably other stuff as well.  I believe I had about 8GB free on /usr .

In my logs, I found a previous TX underrun:
Jan 11 03:03:04 daemon /kernel: dc0: TX underrun -- increasing TX threshold

I can submit dmesg output upon request, and I'll be recovering
/var/log/messages later this week.

--
Randy Primeaux
randy@cloudfactory.org