Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 01:56:18 GMT
From:      gfm@mira.net (Graham Menhennitt)
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Doco on installing new boot blocks (was: Is it soup yet?)

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998 00:18:39 -0800, "Jordan K. Hubbard"
<jkh@zippy.cdrom.com> wrote:

>> the ability to run on old bootblocks is how shall I say...
>> "required".
>
>Well, you have and have always had just two options the minute we pull
>the elf kernel switch: You switch customers to the 3-stage boot by
>dropping a /boot.conf file into place which calls /boot/loader (which
>you also install along with the 3.0 upgrade) or you relabel them so
>they look just like freshly installed 3.0.x systems; it's your choice
>whether you want to go for minimal impact or minimal difference.

As somebody who has just upgraded from 2.2-STABLE to 3.0-RELEASE but is
still using the old boot blocks (actually, probably those from 2.1.5), I
would like to know what's involved in upgrading them. Can someone please
point me to some doco.

Thanks,
	Graham