Date:      26 Apr 2003 00:19:45 +0100
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>
To:        FreeBSD Gnome <freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Gnome-2.2 Terminal *really* slow / weird since upgrading from Gnome-1.4

Hello,
Since I upgraded to Gnome-1.4 this week, I've noticed that the output
and general "feel" of my gnometerminal has been sluggish and almost
appears to hang at times.

For instance, if I repeatedly hit the return key, for the initial three
hits, the prompt duly moves lower down the screen, but subsequent hits,
result in the prompt actually disappearing for half-a-second then
reappearing if I pause for a bit.

Also, the output from sockstat -4l as well no longer "smoothly" flows up
the screen as before. What I get now is a sort of jerky stop-start sort
of movement up the screen.

Highlighting text for copying-pasting is awkwark as well. In a line of
text, if I click from the left and move the cursor over to the end of
the line (or say, to the end of a three line paragraph), the highlight
doesn't appear unless I hold the left-mousebutton at the end of the
desired text for about two seconds, then my text is highlighted. And if
it wrong, like capturing a char more than I meant to, then trying to
move the end of the highlighted area along just doesn't work anymore. I
have to click away, then retry from the beginning.

And lastly, using the scrollbar at the (default) right of the terminal
is now a blood-curling experience. I could move it right up to the top
in one go, and the screen doesn't even change. The original text is
still there until I hit the top and then text (again) jerkily makes its
way up the screen.

Uname info:
$ uname -v
FreeBSD 4.8-RC #0: Sat Mar 22 12:10:35 GMT 2003
root@<snipped>:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HAMMER

I'm running this on a P111 533 / 384MB RAM.

Mind you all other applications (Abiword / Evolution / Gnumeric / Dia)
are all fine in terms of mouse interaction.

Is there something I could check?
Was there a config / optimization switch that I might have missed
somehow?

Regards,

Stacey
--