Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2000 17:19:23 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
Cc:        Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>, Trond Endrestol <trond@ramstind.gtf.ol.no>, FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Making sure /var/tmp/vi.recover exists during reboot

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000 10:12:54 EST, Vivek Khera wrote:

> If you don't like the warning, just delete the recovery procedure
> rather than creating the directory.  It does no good for you to try to
> recover something that will never be there.

Exactly.  The only thing that comes out of this patch is we support
an administrative mistake that leads naive users to believe that vi
recovery on reboot is going to work as expected.

This is a stupid idea.  I wish the person who came up with it would just
acknowledge that he's doing something inappropriate and move on, rather
than insisting that the rest of us introduce a bad idea into our systems
to support his bad practice.

Ciao,
Sheldon.