Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2007 15:55:14 -0500
From:      "Brian A Seklecki (Mobile)" <bseklecki@collaborativefusion.com>
To:        Simon <simon@optinet.com>
Cc:        Sean McAfee <smcafee@collaborativefusion.com>, Jason Thomson <jason.thomson@mintel.com>, Benjie Chen <benjie@addgene.org>, "freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PERC5 (LSI MegaSAS) Patrol Read crashes

On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 07:23 -0500, Simon wrote:
> Do you guys perform consistency checks on your RAID5
> or other redundant arrays?
>
> -Simon
>

> On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:09:55 +0000, Jason Thomson wrote:

Normally I'd be praising Dell, but I think a little vendor bashing is
due here.

Its a software bug (driver).  It can probably be easily fixed.  I think
there's a PR on it somewhere (will check).

We eliminated firmware bugs through P.O.L.  I suspect, but haven't
confirmed, that the driver developer used a reference platform w/ the
"Patrol Reads" disabled.  Maybe that platform was provided by the
employer, having already passed through the hands of wise administrators
who saw through the marketing _BULLSHIT_ that "Patrol Reads" really are.

The linux beast-crew on poweredge-linux@ claims that it doesn't happen
on RHEL.  But wow would they really be able to differentiate a
PERC5-related crash from any other inexplicable Linux kernel panic?
Well, there's a lot of them and they like to whine a lot, so I imagine
Dell would have done something.

The whole thing is a UGLY UGLY hack.  Needing Linux 32-bit compat
support just to monitor and administer your RAID controller?  Might as
well just install Redhat and send your root password to
misc@openbsd.org.

All of that functionality really should be tied into an out-of-band
system like the LOM.

The problem is that the DRAC5 is crap too, crap customized for Windows
users.

The PERC5 is OEM crappy closed source hardware, and Dell should know
better.

The Broadcom NICS (bge(4)) are crap.  Let's not forget the HA NIC
features that only work in select OSs.

The only praise Dell gets is that the IPMI on the integrated IPMI/DRAC5
card is faster.

It's all subtle vendor lock-in crap.  As if no one remembers the 90s and
the fall of UNIX?

Dell selectively uses aspects of F/OSS methodology to suit their needs.
If you think back, 18 months after the 8th gen was release, FreeBSD was
rock-solid on that platform.  Intel NICs and PERC4.  AMI/LSI even
released the source code to the MegArc CLI.

Anyway, Dell really screwed up on the 9th gen.

~BAS (Likes to do his vendor bashing _before_ lunch, but sometimes takes
a late one)