Go forward to User-defined.
Go backward to Arrays.
Go up to Top.
"Built-in" functions are functions that are always available for
your `awk' program to call. This chapter defines all the built-in
functions in `awk'; some of them are mentioned in other sections, but
they are summarized here for your convenience. (You can also define
new functions yourself. See User-defined Functions: User-defined.)
- Calling Built-in
- How to call built-in functions.
- Numeric Functions
- Functions that work with numbers,
including `int', `sin' and `rand'.
- String Functions
- Functions for string manipulation,
such as `split', `match', and `sprintf'.
- I/O Functions
- Functions for files and shell commands.
- Time Functions
- Functions for dealing with time stamps.