Date:      Sun, 21 Jul 1996 09:44:56 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Cc:        nordquis@visi.com (Brent J. Nordquist)
Subject:   Re: cu(1) stopped working?

As Brent J. Nordquist wrote:

> Suddenly in the latest sup of -current (Jul. 18) cu reports "Device
> not configured" and that it's locked, but there are no lock files (I
> can't believe it's really in use).  Snooping around in /etc, I found
> that /etc/uucp was changed by the make world.  Has cu always been
> part of Taylor UUCP (as noted in the man page), or have we suddenly
> switched cu's?  Or, has something else changed very recently having
> to do with cu?

cu has been the Taylor version for very long now, and it always
(erroneously) installs the template files in /etc/uucp from a `make
world'.  They all end up in .sample however, und thus should not
conflict with the actual configuration files.

The entire UUCP suite never broke for me by this (neither cu nor
uucico), and i'm relying exclusively on UUCP for all my mail and news.

> And yes, I have been meaning to switch to tip anyway... looks like
> now is the time.  Just wanted everyone to have my one data point on
> this.

Do you have any reason to switch to tip?  I find the Taylor config
files much more intelligible than all the /etc/remote etc. stuff.

--
cheers, J"org