Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 1996 10:35:12 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        coredump@nervosa.com (invalid opcode)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, ajones@ctron.com, questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X help

As invalid opcode wrote:

> > > xterm: Error 23, errno 25: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> >
> > Have a close look at your ~/.cshrc, ~/.login, or ~/.profile (depending

> This wouldn't even have anything to do with it unless xterm is executed
> with the -ls switch.

I suppose you aren't using the csh.  It does _always_ execute ~/.cshrc
(that's the difference to ~/.login).  Bourne-alike shells don't
provide for this, yes.  They provide for ${ENV}, but for the first
invocation of a shell, this would become a chicken-and-egg problem.

Btw., i consider this an incredible advantage of the csh.  Bourne-
alike shells totally lose in this area when it comes to things like
remote shell command execution, and adjusting ${PATH} for it.

--
cheers, J"org