Date:      Sun, 2 Jun 1996 00:57:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   New HD install?

Hey Folks,

I was just helping a friend install FreeBSD (2.2-960321-SNAP if I
remember right) on his PC.  (Quantum XP34300-S 4.3GB, NCR 53c810).

Two problems arose.  First, we couldn't recognize the CDrom drive during
the install.  We worked around that problem by installing the HD in
another machine and installing there.

(The cd was recognized on boot up, and I saw that it probed successfully
from the boot stuff.)

The next problem...when I said I wanted to use the entire drive for
FreeBSD, I was asked if I wanted to use a geometry that would allow me to
have other OS's later.  I said yes.  We installed, everything looked
fine, and..."No OS found" on boot up.

I installed the boot floppy, and at the boot: prompt I typed
sd(0,a)/kernel and it worked fine!

I tried the standard MBR...I tried booteasy.  Nothing would find /kernel
and actually boot.

Then, I made a rash decision and *didn't* set up the drive to do this
geometry thing I just mentioned.  Lots of warnings in the menus, then it
went ahead and did it.  This time, it worked fine!

I've never had this problem before.  Can anyone suggest what I was doing
wrong?

Thanks,

Brian

PS:  After we got FreeBSD installed on the HD, it recognized the cdrom
fine.  I...just...don't...get it!