Date:      Sat, 04 Jan 97 14:10:44 +0900
From:      tedm@agora.rdrop.com
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: conf/2367: Buslogic SCSI driver bad probe of 742A early revision IRQ and version

// Ted Mittelstaedt      See my "Network Community" columns online
//  tedm@agora.rdrop.com         at http://www.computerbits.com
//  tedm%toybox@agora.rdrop.com
//--- forwarded letter -------------------------------------------------------
> Date: Sun, 05 Jan 97 01:15:06 +0100
> From: j@uriah.heep.sax.de
> To: tedm%toybox@agora.rdrop.com
> Cc: freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
> Subject: Re: conf/2367: Buslogic SCSI driver bad probe of 742A early revision IRQ
and version

> As tedm@agora.rdrop.com wrote:
>
> > > It's been a while ago that i've been using a Bt742A.  I remember that
> > > it wasn't totally unproblematical for me either.
>
> > Kind of ironic, since the monolithic Buslogic driver was derived
> > from driver code from the 742A EISA card!
>
> Yes and no: these cards are dual-personality, and they have been used
> in their ISA personality only in the beginning.
>
> > I tried disabling the bt driver, this did make the above error
> > message about bt unit number 1 too high go away, and the kernel did
> > boot properly.
>
> Ok.  So the basic problem of your PR is solved then?

Absolutely not.  Either the driver or the EISA probe is messed up, despite
disabling the ISA buslogic driver using boot -c, the probe still responds with
IRQ=9, regardless of the actual setting of the hardware in EISA-config.

> >  This is probably something that should go into the install FAQ, is
> > the same problem present with the Adaptec 1740 card responding as a
> > 1540 as well?
>
> Basically yes.  ISTR that you also have to setup a BusLogic card for
> BSD/OS to not match one of the ISA addresses, for the very same
> reason.
>
> I've had a look at the FAQ, there's a large section about the 742A,
> but this detail is indeed missing.
>
> > I also tried switching the interrupt to IRQ12 with the bt driver
> > disabled, the EISA probe _still_ thinks that the interrupt is at IRQ
> > 9, and the boot process halts.
>
> That's surprising.  I never had problems of this kind with the EISA
> code.  Maybe your mainboard is lying?  (Mine was a SiS chipset one.)

As a test I switched over to level-triggered interrupts on IRQ9, and this made it
so that now the machine won't even complete the boot process at all.  When POST
finishes and transfers control to the buslogic BIOS code the machine halts.

To fix this I had to pull the controller card, re-eisa config the machine, and
reinsert the card and reconfig it.  (at least a half-hour process since the
machine is buried in a mess of cables)  So, here are all of the motherboard
particulars, at least as much as I can tell:

Motherboard:
 CompuAdd 486 EISA board.

Chipset:

  There are 4 ASIC's visible, all with OPTI on them, the numbers are:

82C687
82C682
82C681
82C686

  There is also a smaller SMC ASIC visible, it is a FDC37C65C   This is obviously
the floppy disk controller chip, incidentally the fd0 probe I sent in on the
pr comes up with an "unknown chipset" on it.  Perhaps this is another thing I should
send in on a separate send-pr?

> My Bt742A always ran at IRQ 11 or 12 (i eventually forgot which one).

I'd prefer to run it on a higher interrupt.

Can you tell me what piece of code is at fault?  I'm guessing it's the EISA probe
code, since this problem didn't exist in FreeBSD before the eisa-probe code was
added.  Perhaps I can try inserting some fprints in it to get some more data for
this?  Also, why is the driver being hosed by the eisa-probe, even when the later
driver probe gets the correct interrupt?

Also, whould there be a possibility that the wrong version of an eisa-config file
could affect anything?  Buslogic has at least three different eisa-config files
for the 742A card.

One last question I have for you, can this card do sync 10Mbt negotiation?  It
will only come up in 5Mbt async mode, even though the eisa-config file has a
selection for disabling sync negotiation.  (obviously if there is an option to
disable it then it should be present, right?)