Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 1997 17:28:29 +1000
From:      Hugh Blandford <hugh@island.net.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   "Panic: going nowhere without my init" please help.

Hi all,

I'm getting the following error message "Panic: going nowhere without my
init"

It occurs when the system is trying to write the partition information
to the drive.  The drive already has a 10Meg DOS partition on it.

The machine is an old Compaq SX/25 with 2 x 313Meg Maxtor ESDI drives in
it on seperate drive controllers.  It has 10 Meg of RAM.  I have tried
using the geometry that is detected by the install process and also I
have tried the settings that I have worked out from the drive info.  The
Compaq diagnostics say that the system is fine.  I have tried installing
FreeBSD on both drives and it makes no difference.

Originally I had another O/S on the drives called BOS (proprietry) and
that had worked fine and as mentioned above DOS works fine.

I am trying to install FreeBSD 2.2.2 from the CD.  Any suggestions
(apart from go out and buy a more up to machine ;-) would be welcome.

Hugh.