Date:      Sun, 9 Aug 1998 10:03:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      djv@bedford.net
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        djv@bedford.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

Greg Lehey wrote
> (moved to -chat)
> On Saturday,  8 August 1998 at  7:12:01 -0400, CyberPeasant wrote:
> > Brandon Lockhart wrote:
> >>
> >>                                                          You can only have
> >> one operating system loaded at a single point in time (correct me if I am
> >> wrong).
> >
> > You're wrong :) The IBM mainframe OS, MVS, will run several OS's on
> > the same machine, simultaneously. Each user gets his own OS.  This
> > is very cool...
>
> Nowadays the operating system is called OS/390, also known as UNIX 95.
> I thought it was VM that ran multiple operating systems, not MVS.

You think correctly.  Why do i have MVS on my brain...

	for(i=0;i<10000;i++)
		promise("I will not make this misteak again");

> First I've heard of it.  I haven't been keeping much track of the 360
> family in the last 10 years or so, but before that they were decidedly
> CPU bound.

Well, everything was bound up then. :)  The 360/195  (I think this
was known as the "Stretch") was quite snappy in its time. The apps
I ran (numerical) were by definition CPU bound, anyway. This was
a 2 of a kind unit (one for NSA, one for Los Alamos IIRC), with a
hotrod CPU and a big load of memory, how much I've forgotten (128MB?
More?), which IIRC was made of discrete transistors. I think it
was faster than its contemporaries in the 370 series. The Navy kept
it running until ~1986, I believe the power bill was why they shut
it down. :-) (It was at the PAX NATC in S. Maryland).

It had the cute feature, that if you requested more memory than
was installed, it would enter your job in a queue, and notify
the operator to order and install more memory.

Dave
--
"Today, machines sit on our desks and spend the overwhelming majority
of their cycles doing nothing more important than blinking a cursor."