Date:      Sun, 22 Nov 1998 12:03:23 +0000
From:      Nicolas Souchu <nsouch@teaser.fr>
To:        Randy Bunchun Lim <rblim@aht.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: attach OKIDATA office44 to FreeBSD on PC?

On Mon, Nov 16, 1998 at 12:20:45PM -0800, Randy Bunchun Lim wrote:

>Hi,
>
> I tried to send print jobs to OKIDATA office44 through parallel port
>but only to fail. Later on I figured out that this printer was a
> multifunction machine(supporting fax, scanning, and printing) so I
>could NOT send print jobs to printer using lpr to parallel port
>directly. There is a MFPI(Multi Function Peripheral Interface) driver
>between the  Host and the MFP. Also the MFPI driver communicate to MFP
>using  Bi-Centro I/F. But the current MFPI driver only support Window
>95. There  was NO Unix MFPI driver so far. I plan to implement MFPI
>driver on FreeBSD. And I need the following helps:

Great! You'll appreciate the Linux work about this I think. But this is
GPLed :( The best would be to rewrite it.

I've already tried to understand there work and think about a common project,
but without the hardware...

>1, How did  MFPI driver read/write the parallel port before lpr can
>start the burst data transfer?

You'll certainly find such info at the Linux parport project's home page
(see below)

>2, where can I find more information about parallel port driver?

man ppbus on -current

Here are few urls relating to parallel port:

http://www.lvr.com/parport.htm
http://www.lpt.com/pti.htm

There's a Linux project for the HP OfficeJet devices, see the following links:

http://www.torque.net/parport.html
http://www.ifs.physik.uni-stuttgart.de/Personal/RSchreiter/hpoj/

> Also I would like to ask if anybody had any experiences before to
>attach such printers to FreeBSD?
>
> Your quick response will be appreiated

Sorry :)

--