Date:      Sun, 22 Nov 1998 11:55:25 +0100 (CET)
From:      Gerhard Sittig <G.Sittig@abo.FreiePresse.DE>
Subject:   Re: isppp + dynamic IP

On Sat, 21 Nov 1998, Marc van Woerkom wrote:

> > gets an answer. If I abort the request in my browser and retry it
> > while the connection is online, everything works fine.
>
> I experience similiar behaviour. When I call up a page in the
> Netscape browser I very often have to reissue the request before I
> am seeing something - it looks like the first request is ignored.

That's an often discussed FAQ in isdn4linux (have a look at DeJaNews
for the details).  It looks like this:  When the connection goes up
the ISDN interface has ANY address and sends out its first packet.
While negotiating with the ISP the interface CHANGES its address to
the newly assigned one and won't accept the answer for the first sent
packet (in addition the ISP won't even send this answer to THIS
interface since the dynamic address meanwhile belongs somewhere else).
Sending a second packet when the connection is up and configured
you get your answer.

i4l has a dynip patch which stores the first packet with the old
address which triggers dialing and resends it when the connection
is up (with the new address in the packet).

In general one could assume that i4l and i4b should be the same
in many respects and there should be a great amount of common
code, or did I miss a point ?  I think that when it comes to
network code and hardware drivers there could be a common base
for all the free UNIXes.  That would make them even better than
they already are (more up to date, faster in development, ...).

> On the other hand, neither pop nor cvsup seem to have need a second
> try..

Is there any DNS query "in front of" the data traffic ?  Then the
DNS packets will experience the described effect and pop works fine.

G.Sittig@abo.FreiePresse.DE