Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 15:28:08 +0200
From:      Rasmus Kaj <kaj@interbizz.se>
To:        joe.shevland@horizonti.com
Cc:        kaj@interbizz.se
Subject:   Re: Q: AppletContext.showDocument(URL, String)

 JS> Rasmus Kaj wrote:

 >> Is there a way to tell applet viewer what to do with calls to
 >> AppletContext.showDocument in the applet viewer? In a browser it's
 >> straightforward, but in an applet viewer we need to tell a browser to
 >> fetch and show the URL (e.g. via Netscape 'remote-control').

 JS> The showDocument method doesn't make sense in the appletviewer
 JS> context; the appletviewer is only for running the first
 JS> <APPLET></APPLET> tag within a given HTML page (i.e. doesn't
 JS> display anything else). The reference to HTML frames above means
 JS> you can specify the new document to appear in a new window, the
 JS> current window and also special contexts like #top etc...

Well, I think it does make sence, for at least two reasons:

  1) Debugging: If I debug an applet which use this method, it would
be nice to know when it gets a call. Here, a notice to STDOUT or
STDERR would do nicely.

  2) When running an applet stand-alone. For example, I have figured
out that those 'push-technology' thingys on m$ active desktop is just
XML snippets with reference to an applet (actually, they refer to a
HTML page that contains the applet and some decoration). I tried one
and found that the applet runs nicely and gets the 'pushed' things (as
far as I can see, they're not pushed, the applet queries for them
periodically, but this is probably old news). If the applet could tell
a browser to fetch web pages, those things would run correct on
FreeBSD just like that.

 JS> As to the remote control thing, did you want to control Netscape
 JS> from the appletviewer? Sounds odd, but I guess you could
 JS> implement a shared library under FBSD and use the Java Native
 JS> Interface to call a trivial piece of C code that fires up
 JS> Netscape. Hope this was relevant.

Well, Netscape has this 'remote control' facility [1], which means
that a shell command (e.g. `netscape -remote openUrl(...url...)`) can
connect to an existing navigator process and tell it thins like 'show
this page'. I don't know much of native code, but I think this should
be fairly simple ...

This could be said to be 'enlarging the applet context to merge with
the X session' if one cares for fancy terms ...   :-)

[1] http://home.netscape.com/newsref/std/x-remote.html

// Rasmus

--
kaj@cityonline.se --------------- Rasmus Kaj - http://www.e.kth.se/~kaj/