Date:      Sun, 24 May 1998 02:10:12 -0700
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>, crb@ChrisBowman.com, dufault@hda.com, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: good deal on hardware

Søren Schmidt wrote:

> > pentium pros are more forgiving as to mixed revs than the pentiums were,
> > but it can still be a problem with early silicon.  Current pricing at atipa:
>
> Generally if they are step 7 or later, they will work together, and it
> will be real hard to find anything but step 9's, unless its some reused
> chips..  (I'd love to get my hands on two old 166Mhz/512K cpu's :))

Easy - check www.pricewatch.com

A number of places are selling P6 166/512K for ~= $160. Micro Express
were kind enough to check the stepping on the two they shipped me (turned
up in two days, no complaints).

I'm running them SMP @ 233Mhz,  entirely stable (about  5 weeks 24/7).

Just ensure that you use a good (read: big) heat sink/fan/compound if
overclocking, 'coz the 200Mhz part is rated at > 40watts, and both sources
I've seen quote the 166 at the same power consumption...

This kind of makes an MMX look like a laptop device in comparison...

> >         Intel Pentium Pro 200 256K            $425    Heat Sink/Fan    $13
> >         Intel Pentium Pro 180 256K            $169    Heat Sink/Fan    $13
> >
> > The price on the 200 seems a bit steep...

Yup, much too high. It's not far off the going rate though.... Try looking up
the 1Mb L2 cache version for a belly-laugh sometime... :-)

Actually, given that the Intel Providence 440FX board with an *integrated*
2940UW, EtherEtherpress 10/100 and sound can be had for ~= $100,
I figure that you could readily build a twin CPU system with 128Mb and
it would come out less than the Insight with 32Mb and a single CPU, without
too much (or any) bargain hunting, just being a little shrewd.

I just did this with a Micron W6-Li board. Assembly took a couple of hours,
complete control over components/peripherals. Works great. YMMV.

Cheers,

AS