Date:      Sun, 8 Nov 1998 11:35:53 -0700 (MST)
From:      David G Andersen <danderse@cs.utah.edu>
To:        vanmaren@fast.cs.utah.edu (Kevin Van Maren)
Cc:        bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disk-wait problems/hangs

We've been experiencing the same problems; on this end, it looked like the
problem was possibly related to amd/nfs.  We're running in a NIS
environment with heavy AMD and NFS usage; disabling things like SMP didn't
solve the problem, but disabling AMD did.  Our solution was to back AMD
out to the pre-aug-23 integration of the a16 version; another person has
upgraded theirs to the latest b1 release.  (We tried the upgrade, but it
didn't solve the problem).

We're trying to get a crashdump of the hang, but after the AMD backout,
it's become difficult to reproduce.

Interestingly enough, the a.out netscape is _exactly_ how we reproduce the
problem. :)  We don't see things stuck in 'D', but it may be that they're
going downhill so quickly that the entire machine hangs before we catch
it.

(I'm not on -smp, so please CC: responses to me; a colleague forwarded me
the message).

   -Dave

--
work: danderse@cs.utah.edu                     me:  angio@pobox.com