Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 23:58:57 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        new-bus@freebsd.org
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Wanted: reviewers for newbus pccard extentions

I'm looking for code reviewers.  I have extended the current pccard
code base to have shadow nodes in the newbus system.  The code is
incomplete, but to the stage that people can review it.  A beta of the
code will be forthcoming when this review is complete.  No drivers
have been converted at this time, so this code is not useful yet to
the masses of people that desire their pccard modems, floppy drives or
ata memory cards to work.

I want to make sure that I'm headed in the right direction and am not
doing silly things that are easier to do in some other way with
newbus.

Briefly, here's a description of pccnbk (PCCard - NewBus Kludge[*]).  I
create a node named pccard0 and attach it to the nexus.  When pccardd
wants to attach the device, we do what we've always done with pccard
code, except we also create a pccnbk node in the tree and attach it to
pccard0.  This is true no matter how many slots are in the system.
This node is then used to allocate the resources so that the target
drivers can use this node in the tree as their attachment point.

The code can be found in
	http://www.freebsd.org/~imp/pccard_nbk.diff.19990812.gz

Since I'm finding that my time to work on this is irregular, I thought
I'd post what I have, even though it is very much a work in progress
to stimulate feedback (which in turn stimulates my work on this).

Warner

[*] Kludge here referrs to this code, and not newbus.  This is a big
hammer to whap the current code into the newbus system w/o really
changing the current code much at all.  It is best thought of as
bridge code: code that will bridge the gap until a more proper system
can be put into place.