Date:      Fri, 1 Jan 1999 11:19:52 +0100
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DDS alternative

As Wilko Bulte wrote:

> > The media is pretty cost-effective, which you should be sure to take
> > into account when comparing the alternatives.
>
> Ever tried to read a tape written a year ago? I've heared to much horror
> stories about unreadable DAT tapes to trust them...

DDS media interchangeability between different devices (of different
vintage and vendor) has also proven to be a problem for us.  We've
been using DDS until recently in the company for daily backups (with
rotating tapes, in case a single one fails), and are using DLT now.
We're happy about the switch, it gives us a much warmer feeling.

--
cheers, J"org