Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 1999 11:08:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, rivers@lakes.dignus.com
Subject:   AHA 2940UW vs AHA 2940U2W?

It was suggested I ask a question here (although I'm not
subscribed - so please leave my reply address in any e-mails.)

My situation is that I'm putting together a new machine,
using an ASUS P2B-DS.   This motherboard has a aha2940u2w
on-board (and, I understand it's an identical chip set.)

Now - I've got this brand-spankin' new Sony CRX140S SCSI
CD-RW.  I've plugged it into a machine running FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE
and an aha2940uw  (note - not u2w - just uw.)  It was able
read the 3.3-RELEASE CD without any problems.

But - when I try and use this CD-RW with this aha2940u2w,
I get - well - weirdness.  I can boot from the CD just fine,
the kernel loads up - no mysterious messages, etc...

Then, I get to reading the CD to do the extraction of /bin,
a few files work, then I get a lot of cpio "skipping Junk"
messages (indicating the CD isn't being read correctly.)

I've verified that my SCSI termination is correct - I've even
tried many permutations of the possibilities to ensure it's not
something I'm missing.

Some people have asked if it's possible there's an interaction
between the aha2940u2w and this new CD-RW drive... since it
works fine on the aha2940uw.  The drive is so new, there are no
firmware updates at SONY's web site (the manual is even dated
Oct. 1999... )

Any suggestions to help resolve this issue would be greatly
appreciated.

	  - Thanks -
	- Dave Rivers -