Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 1999 19:16:26 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrading - one more time please

I know this has been done to death, I've read it all, and each round of
upgrading advice just keeps getting more confusing. I've been sitting
here like a chook in the middle of the highway watching the traffic
buzz by for months while my legs atrophy, and now I just gotta move.

I've got a machine running 2.2.7-STABLE which I want to upgrade to
the current -STABLE. I also want the full repository.
I have a 3.1-RELEASE CD, so I can grab its repository, cvsup, and
pull out the latest -STABLE sources.

Then, according to Jordan's post, I just go 'make upgrade' and build a
new kernel, but according to Mike's post it might not work, according
to other people I might have to upgrade first to 2.2.8 and/or do or not
do lots of other hoop jumping. Then I look at Ruslan Ermilov's nice
tutorial for 3.0-STABLE and it's telling a whole different story again.
And there was some murmuring about "installing new boot blocks" a while
ago but I don't recall seeing an explanation of what exactly one has to
do. I wonder what else I've forgotten and where it might be written
down.

I've found nothing relevant in the Handbook or the tutorials or the
*.TXT files for 3.1 and 3.2-RELEASE, and the URL given for the most
recent 3.1-RELEASE errata comes up 404. Everything I need is probably
written in some handy place that hasn't popped up yet, and it's sure to
be in the mail archives *somewhere* among a lot of conflicting opinions
and horror stories, but I can't identify the correct advice.

I only have facilities to backup the most essential of my data, and
it'd be really nice if I could keep the rest too, so I don't want to
take too many unnecessary risks. If there's anyone left who's neither
sick of this topic nor uncertain about what to do, could you help me
find what the relevant procedure is?

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-