Date:      Sun, 10 Sep 2000 00:04:17 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        jwl18937 <jwl18937@flash.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Big Problems!

> jwl18937 wrote:
>
> From: jwl51@hotmail.com
>
> I have maybe installed free BSD close to 50 times, then it will
> NEVER take either the reg. login I had given, nor the root login.  I
> am running a 586 PC,  64 megs. ram, 3.5 Gig. Maxtor HD.  Please send
> list of possibilities I should check for problems.  I am running 2
> hard drives, and also Windows 98, but it will not work for me even
> on 1 hard drive, fully commited.  If there is a way around logging
> in, I would love that, since I am the only one in the house
> interested in  UNIX anyway.  Thanks.

Just remember that login's in unix are usually in lowercase. The
password has requirements such letters (upper & lower case), numbers,
and a few special characters. Everything is case sensitive. Don't get
overly creative when you are starting out because you may not be able
to follow up on it. You can always boot to single user mode and fix a
root password. If you have a bad user password, redo it from root.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA