Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2000 01:00:55 -0600 (CST)
From:      Zdenko Tomasic <zdenko@cs28120-135.houston.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RAID on the cheap

We got SGI O2 which needs a bit of storage attached, so I thought of
using PC running FBSD with vinum and nfs as a cheap RAID box.
Has anybody tried that or similar set up already?

I guess raid 5 with 3 80GB IDE disks, each possibly on its own
controller and a 20GB IDE disk for root and more system oriented stuff
(nonvinum) will do. Are there any NFS issues between SGI and FBSD?
gotchas?

I  would normally prefer scsi setup which would be better, but cost is
the issue here. What would be recommended as an adequate CPU? PIII-733?

anything else to watch for?

tnx.

ZT