Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 11:51:43 -0500
From:      "Chuck Rock" <carock@epctech.com>
To:        <freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Compaq 1850R and 4.3 SMP problem? I think....

I have a strange one..

I'm running a Compaq Proliant 1850R with an additional Intel 10/100 network
card.

Everything else in the machine is Compaq and came with the unit.

I got the SMP kernel compiled and working with IPFW and TCP Restrict changes
added.

Problem......

Every week or so, the Intel card stops working. I get timeout erros on the
screen, and the interface just quits working all together. One time I was
actually able to ping out the on-board Thunderlan interface, then it quit
too. Since then, every time one card is down, they are both down.

I even scaled back the kernel to just SMP, no extra tweaks, and it still
does this.

Does anyone have any ideas or directions I could go to get FreeBSD SMP on
this reliably.

I had to tweak the BIOS to get SMP working in the first place, I had to
change it to Unixware or something so it would allow the SMP functions in
the kernel to work.

Could that have something to do with this?

Thanks,
Chuck Rock