Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:07:53 -0700
From:      <Venkatesh.Babu@nokia.com>
To:        <freebsd-smp@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Venkatesh.Babu@nokia.com
Subject:   Pointer to 4.8 SMP implementation

 Hi

    I have newly joined to this mailing list. Pardon me for bothering =
with my silly questions.
I was not able to get this information from the official website. I know =
this can be determined by looking at the source code, but it is going to =
be too much of a work. I have this option as a last resort.

    I know that FreeBSD 5.x supports fine grained locking and 4.x just =
supports coarse grained / giant kernel lock. I would like to know the =
capabilities of SMP implementation in 4.x (say 4.8). I am interested to =
know -
 - are the interrupts shared between the multiprocessors?
 - what algorithm is used to decide which processor services which =
interrupt ?
 - does it distributes the interrupts based on the processor load ?
 - does it distributes the software interrupt processing also ?
 - how the user level processes are scheduled to run on other processors =
?
 - can the user process be run on a particular processor ?=20
 - how the processor affinity is taken into consideration ?

Can any of you give some pointers to the SMP capability list in FreeBSD =
4.x ?
It would be great if you can also point me to some design / =
implementation of SMP architecture  in FreeBSD 4.x.=20

Thanks a lot,

  VBabu