Date:      Sun, 4 Sep 2005 15:20:20 GMT
From:      Panagiotis Astithas <past@ebs.gr>
To:        freebsd-eclipse@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/72014: Eclipse doesn't work (SigBus 10) if it has been built with GTK

The following reply was made to PR ports/72014; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Panagiotis Astithas <past@ebs.gr>
To: Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net>
Cc: gnome@freebsd.org, Oleg Sharoiko <os@rsu.ru>, nlsn@free.fr,
   bug-followup@freebsd.org, Daniel Roethlisberger <daniel@roe.ch>
Subject: Re: ports/72014: Eclipse doesn't work (SigBus 10) if it has been
 built with GTK
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 18:19:15 +0300

 Jeremy Messenger wrote:
 > On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 12:17:48 -0500, Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net> wrote:
 >
 >> On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 04:40:15 -0500, Panagiotis Astithas <past@ebs.gr>
 >> wrote:
 >>
 >>> I'm forwarding this to the people who are responsible for this.

 >>> Some background:
 >>>
 >>> In PR ports/72014 it was reported a long time ago that eclipse/gtk
 >>> crashes and this was tracked down to non-standard compiler
 >>> optimizations when building gtk. There have been similar bug reports
 >>> filed against the eclipse and gcc bug databases. Some gcc people
 >>> have  tracked it down to incorrect stack alignment (see ports/72014
 >>> for the  pointers) and have received reports that using -mno-sse2
 >>> fixed it.  Daniel has verified that this seems to help our case also.
 >>

 >> It's a nice find the locate that SSE2 is causing the problem.
 >> Mono/gtk-sharp have the same problems and we always have to tell them
 >> to  not tweak the CPUTYPE. After look at our PR and GCC's PRs, looks
 >> like  might be either GCC or our libc bug.
 >>
 >>> Therefore the question is, should we force -mno-sse2 to the compiler
 >>> flags for the gtk ports? I would expect less bug reports from people
 >>> who compile gtk apps with non-standard CFLAGS, at least.
 >>

 >> It's good idea, I would like to add -mno-sse2 too. Here's patch, so
 >> let  me know if I don't understand it correct or/and my English isn't
 >> right.
 >

 > I have committed it in both MC and offical ports tree.
 >
 > Cheers,
 > Mezz

 Excellent, thanks!
 Now if someone who has reported this issue could verify that the updated
 gtk fixes ports/72014 we could close that, too.

 Thanks,

 Panagiotis