Date:      Sun, 19 Nov 2006 06:07:32 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Re: Lockless algorithms [was Re: splxxx replacements?]]

Ivan Voras wrote:

> There are patent issues and the GPL license, but this is just too
> powerful an
> algorithm to ignore. In many way, this brings out the ultimate in what
> shared
> memory system can do.

I don;t think that patent issues can be to much of an issue as RCU (as
it is in my understanding) has been used in the kernel since the very
earliest of days, even before there was SMP.

Take the example of a file reference to an inode..
you want file X.
you open it
someone deletes it and creates a new one.
you still have your copy to work on until you are finished with it..
when you finish, the reference count on the inode goes to 0 and it is
freed.
The other process can update the new version of the file without
worrying about colliding with your copy.

 From my understanding this is RCU. (unless I'm thinking of a different
RCU :-)