Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2007 11:08:33 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        mips@freebsd.org
Subject:   The path ahead

I started talking about this plan on irc, but then realized that it
might be better to hash out here so there's a better record of it.

As you may know, Juniper Networks recently released a reference
implementation of a MIPS port to FreeBSD.  This is currently in the
perforce repository as //depot/vendor/juniper/juniper-mips/.  It is
based on FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE and looks to be pretty good as far as it
goes.  It is based on a port that runs in Juniper's custom hardware,
but has had all the proprietary bits stripped out, including all the
CPU specific code.  The only driver it supports is sio, but doesn't
run on real hardware...

As you may also know, there's been a community effort to do a mips
port.  This effort has been running, to various degrees, on different
MIPS hardware.  There's a number of branches off of mips2, both public
and private, that implement some addition hardware.  This port has
lots of drivers.

I'd propose that create a new branch to merge these two items.
I propose the name //depot/project/mips2-jnpr to indicate that the
branch pulls in from both.  I don't want to argue over names, so
unless you really feel strongly, I'll do this.

The advantage of doing this in a new branch in p4 is that we'll be
able to call a 'mulligan' if we somehow realize we're down the wrong
path.

I'd also propose we pull in as much as possible from the juniper-mips
code and adapt our code to it.  Except we should likely keep our
platform interface.  That's one area where we've started to progress
in supporting multiple mips platforms.  The Juniper code is very much
for one platform and has a few places where the base mips code and the
platform specific code is smashed together.

Comments?

Warner