Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 2008 04:46:19 GMT
From:      "Joseph S. Aktinson" <jsatkinson@embarqmail.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/129647: if_rl breakage

>Number:         129647
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       if_rl breakage
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD mephisto.wickedmachine.net 8.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #0: Fri Dec 12 04:17:41 EST 2008     jsa@mephisto.wickedmachine.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MEPHISTO  i386

At some point in the past couple of months, I synced with current, and on rebooting noticed that dhcp ceased working. I dug into it a little but didn't see any commits related to dhclient. Pressed for time, I dropped in a static IP and moved on, intending to dig deeper when I had more chance.

A couple of times over the past few months we've had some issues with connectivity at random intervals. Due to the "high quality" of my ISP, this isn't anything unusual, until I noticed that I couldn't hit my dsl modem.

At such times my the console would be flooded with "out of buffer space" errors.

After swapping out my nic for another of the same model, the problem wasn't alleviated. So I asked in #bsddev on EFNet, and gavin informed me he had been seeing something similar on his laptop with the rl driver.

He pointed me a flurry of commits by yongari on October 25th that addressed rl driver on PAE enabled boxes. I rolled back the if_rl.c and if_rlreg.h to October 24th's version and all problems ceased. I then rolled to October 25th, and dhcp and buffer problems resumed.

I am currently using a backup nic with a different driver to work around the issues, but will test fixes.
>How-To-Repeat:
Run post October 25th builds with rl driver compatible hardware on i386. Attempt to obtain IP via DHCP.

Play with network related options (It seems I can run pfctl -d and break it instantly). Let the connection idle for a short amount of time (it will just die with "out of buffer space" errors within minutes).

The system I am using has 1GB physical RAM and 2GB swap.

The kernel is GENERIC modified only to remove the performance altering debugging in head.