Date:      Thu, 1 Jan 2009 17:33:13 -0600 (CST)
From:      Gordon Burditt <gordon@hammy.burditt.org>
To:        openoffice@freebsd.org
Subject:   How does one use OpenOffice on FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE?

Help, please.  I had Openoffice working on FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE from
a port based on the DEV300_m1 version.  Then I upgraded to FreeBSD
7.0-RELEASE.  (Intel i386 architecture).  I can't get OpenOffice
(any version) working since then.

As part of the upgrade, I recompiled all the ports since without
this, many of the ports and my own executables link in two different
versions of libc.so and segfault a lot.  Relinking fixes this.

The original binaries from the DEV300_m1 don't work (largely because
of the libc.so problem) and segfault. Rebuilding that doesn't work,
possibly because I had to go from jdk1.4 to something later.

Packages for OOo 2.4.1 and 3.0.0 from good-day.net do not work.
Installation of the package works.  Attempting to start OpenOffice
fails because "the component manager is not available".  Then it
segfaults.  What package am I missing?

I attempted to bypass the vendor-checking in javaldx with a javaldx
from a failed build (but it got far enough to build javaldx).  No
change.  I have used at various times:  diablo-jdk1.5, diablo-jdk1.6,
diablo-jdk1.5 AND diablo-jdk1.6, diablo-jdk1.5 AND jdk1.5, diablo-jdk1.6
AND jdk1.6.  The advice I've seen seems to be using diablo-jdk1.5
and jdk1.5 .  Is this correct?

Builds for all of the ports of OpenOffice 2.4.* and 3.0.* that I
can find in the ports tree fail.  The failure is in the pyuno
directory with a complaint about python.bin being missing, without
any apparent error causing it to fail to build.  I have pulled a
python executable out of one of the ports and tried "make do-build"
again.  Then it goes a lot farther but fails on not being able to
register stuff in services.rdb.

Obviously, I'm missing something.  What are the version requirements
on other ports?  I'm using diablo-jdk1.5 and jdk1.5.  I ripped out
icu 3.8 and re-installed icu 3.6 (which means gimp won't build).
I suspect that there are plenty of other version requirements I
don't know about.  I'll install any jdk necessary.  I'll upgrade
to 7.1-PRERELEASE if necessary.

I only really need Writer, Calc, and the ability to print documents.
I've tried with and without WITHOUT_MOZILLA, WITHOUT_GNOMEVFS, and
WITHOUT_CUPS.  No change.

I'm very familiar with installing ports and packages.  Openoffice has
presented problems worse than any I've seen with anything else.
Are there instructions including prerequesites on the web somewhere?