Date:      Mon, 21 Mar 2011 10:43:12 +0000
From:      John Edwards <john.edwards@linguamatics.com>
To:        fdeliege <fdeliege@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mps and Dell PERC H200

On 19/03/11 17:51, fdeliege wrote:
> Hi Attila,
>
> I am getting a very similar problem except that the mps driver only picks 6
> disks.
> This seem to correspond to bay 0,1,2,3,4,5,6.
> But maybe two of your disks were located in the internal bays (12, 13) ?
>
> Anyway, if you have found any solution for this, I'd like to hear how you
> made it.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Francois
Hi Francois,

You are correct in assuming that two of our disks were on the internal
bays 12 & 13.

Unfortunately we did not find a fix for the PERC H200. Our solution was
to purchase a LSI MegaRAID 9240-8i and compile a kernel with the FreeBSD
driver provided by LSI. At the moment we are running 8.2 stable with
this controller and we have not suffered any issues re stability.

One thing to note if you choose to do this and you are using a similar
Dell chassis to the PowerEdge R515 we have is that the LSI card is
larger than the PERC H200 and must be connected to a PCI-E further from
the SAS backplane. We needed to purchase longer SAS SFF-8087 to SFF-8087
cables to make the distance.

Hope that helps,

John (Attila's colleague)