Date:      Sun, 6 Feb 2011 06:47:55 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mark Murray <markm@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org, David Magda <dmagda@ee.ryerson.ca>
Subject:   Re: Add SHA-256/512 hash algorithm to crypt(3) (kern/124164)

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011, Mark Murray wrote:

> Just as a first cut, I'm going to "FreeBSD-ify" the code, to get it up to
> our style(9) standards. Apart from stylistic issues, we already have SHA256
> and SHA512 in our libraries, and they don't have alignment issues, So I'll
> use them instead. You've donated to code to "public domain"; any objection
> if I make this a BSD 2-clause license with FreeBSD as the copyright holder?
> Many places have weird problems with the concept of "public domain", and
> 2-clause BSD is pretty darned close.

In general, we strongly discourage the use of pseudonymous copyright holders.
Use the legal names of holders wherever possible.  Having as few copies of
$hashalgorithm as possible also an excellent idea.

(Agreed that the public domain is problematic due to differing notions of
public domain in different jurisdictions.  Our preferred reference license
remains in /usr/share/examples/etc/bsd-style-copyright; it's ideal if patches
come with that pre-attached by the author.)

Robert