Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 1995 01:50:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        leo@lisa.rur.com (Leo Papandreou)
Cc:        vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu, gary@palmer.demon.co.uk, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, john@zyqad.co.uk, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to my machine

> On Sat, 12 Aug 1995, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>
> > _The_ 9G drive to have is the Micropolis 1991.  Quantum does not
> > make a drive in this capacity (or didn't as of my last product brief
> > update 4 weeks ago) and I wouldn't trust 9G of data to Seagates version
> > of the 9G drive.  [About the only Seagate I will even sell right now is
> > the Hawk series as it has shown to be one of Seagates good drive lines]
>
> I have a Hawk and a Barracuda and recommend them both with the following
> proviso: The Barracuda runs very hot. I have it mounted in a server case
> containing 3 fans (5 if you count the power supply and CPU.) One of the
> fans blows directly across it. Still warm to the touch but not worth getting
> paranoid over. Performance wise it rocks.

And that ``proviso'' is one many are not willing to live with.  If a drive
requires that type of external cooling air blown at it, then something is
seriously wrong.

The Barracuda series of drives have had a very hight field FIT (failure in
time) rate due to this problem.  The hawk drives on the other hand do not
run near as hot, have not had high FIT rates in the field and seem to be
doing just fine performance wise.

So, why recommend a drive we know to have problems with cooling?  I don't,
you may with your `proviso'', but I can't afford to do that, as ultimately,
I am the one who will have to handle the RMA if I sell them.

Read my .signature, and then think about what I said, and you may fully
understand why I said it :-) :-)

                                            ^^^^^^^^