Date:      Sun, 15 Oct 1995 01:47:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Litzinger <brian@MediaCity.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Why can't I make a newsserver that runs reliably

I running 2.1.0-SNAP-950928 on a new Mylex PCI motherboard with
AMD 486DX2/80 CPU and 20MB of RAM.  I don't actually have any PCI
peripherals in the system.

It does have a WD8003E ethernet card, generic VGA, and Adaptec 1542CF
SCSI controller, with several large drives.

The machine is running inn from the ports directory.  Every few days
it crashes.  The motherboard and drives have been replaced with various
other models and the crashing behavior continues.

Here is the panic report from the latest crash:

Fatal trap 1: privileged instruction fault while in kernel mode
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xf01a31e4
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 19748 (awk)
interrupt mask          = bio
panic: privileged instruction fault

I've read on this list that many people are successfully running news
servers for long periods of time, but I'm just not having the same luck
no matter who much equipment I change out.

Any ideas?

Brian Litzinger
brian@mediacity.com