Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 1995 08:17:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dominic Gregoire <Dominic_Gregoire@QBC.Clic.Net>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   TMC-8xx driver (sea0) flaky

FreeBSD 2.0 used to work to some extent with my TMC-835 scsi board,
straight out of the box, but not for long. Repeated timeouts read/writing to
a device usually make vm_pageout unhappy after awhile, with a panic next.

Seeing that 2.0.5 was out, I decided to try it out (maybe they have fixed
that driver?). The situation is now much worst. Probing and finding
devices (2 scsi disks) works flawlessly, but as soon as a real io job
starts (like newfs), the machine simply crashes with a non-stop 'BEEEEP'.
No panics, no reboot, no nothing. Just BEEEP.

The only difference I noticed with 2.0.5 is the iosize of 16384, instead
of the 8192 of 2.0. The command iosize of the config menu (-c) has no
effect whatsoever on this.

My tmc is on irq5, iomem 0xca00.

If more info is needed to try and find a fix, ask me. I'm not able to
program in C, so i can't fix it myself. If anyone of you has some
experience with a 835, i'd like to hear from you.

This problem is not fixable by inversing 2 bits in the status register, I
tried it once, it simply totally breaks it.

Thanks for any advices.

--
Dominic Gregoire         :
Acces Publique LLC       :