Date:      Mon, 9 Dec 1996 16:47:18 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation: still not perfect

Greg Lehey stands accused of saying:

> > These aren't available on the normal boot floppy for space reasons.
>
> Then there should be another boot floppy.  I know, there are good
> reasons to oppose this, but it shouldn't be at the expense of not
> being able to install on certain configurations.  I think that an
> ethernet-based install on a laptop should be relatively common.

This is the PAO boot floppy.  Those few of us? them? that have the
gear to test this sort of thing often don't have the time 8(

> I have two cards: one is the 3C589C, which I can't configure because
> the diagnostic doesn't work.  It seems that there might have been card

You should be able to get the diagnostic off 3com's FTP site to work.

> services installed on the machine before I wiped out the Windoze 95%
> partition, but they didn't give me a diskette, and it seems that card
> services relate to the machine and not the board, so I don't have any
> card services at all any more.  Without card services, the diagnostic
> just doesn't run.  If somebody out there can send me a copy of
> CardWizard or whatever for the AcerNote Light, I'd be grateful.

I seem to recall that the 3c589 diagnostics have to be run _without_
any Card Services drivers in place.  If you really need that sort of
thing though, we have a pile of "generic" Card Services disks here that
came with some PCC modems we bought that I could squirt your way.

> There's also a very minimal "manual" (a folded sheet of paper) which
> tells me that it has drivers for every machine under the Sun, is
> Ethernet compliant, has a 16 kB data buffer.  I've tried booting with
> the PAO boot floppy, and it recognizes the card, but claims it can't
> find card type (from memory) " ()" in the card database.  This also
> happens, including the same name, with the 3C589, so I assume this
> doesn't relate to the board.

If you build a kernel with PCCARD support (pcic0 and crd0 per LINT),
make the /dev/card0 and /dev/card1 devices (50/0, 50/1), and then say
'pccardc dumpcis', you should be able to find the manufacturer and
version strings.

For some stupid reason, 'pccardd' only mentions the manuf. string when
it can't find a card in the database, and it seems that more than a
few don't actually put anything there at all.

> If your fixes will work on -current, tell me about them.  I'm
> currently interfacing via PLIP (which, to my surprise, gets FTP
> transfers at about 58 kB/s, but seems to have trouble with NFS), so I
> can try it out easily enough.

I am currently running 2.2-ALPHA unmodified on my NE2000-compatible
PCCARD; the 'ed' driver now correctly probes for both NE-style
and WD-style PCCARDS.  I have a very simple /etc/pccard.conf :

# Generally available IO ports
io      0x340-0x360
# Generally available IRQs (Built-in sound-card owners remove 5)
irq     5 10
# Available memory slots
memory  0xd0000  64k

# Accton 2216
card "ACCTON" "EN2216-PCMCIA-ETHER"
        config  0x22 "ed0" 5 0x10
        ether   0x1c0
        insert  /etc/pccard_ether ed0
        remove  /sbin/ifconfig ed0 delete

# X-Streama modem
card " " "X-Streama"
        config 0x22 "sio1" 10
        insert  echo Ouch, another crappy modem card...
        remove  echo and don't come back...

You'll notice that the modem card has an empty Manufacturer string...

Sorry about being so slow with this reply; please let me know how you
go.