Date:      Sun, 4 Aug 1996 11:08:27 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Petri Helenius <pete@sms.fi>
To:        Randy DuCharme <randyd@nconnect.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Samba file I/O performance

Randy DuCharme writes:
 > Greetings,
 >    Are there any ways to improve the I/O performance of a Samba server.
 > File copies from DOS / Win95 stations seem slow compared to a similar
 > hardware configuration running NetWare or NT...or is this normal??

It's not. There is great document that accompanies samba telling you
about the tunning options, the one I've found useful is to put
socket options = TCP_NODELAY

in your smb.conf

ccd also helps you to push the performance further. We get 3.5 to 4
megabytes a second from the server per client over ATM NICs on the
win95 machines and 100 meg ethernet on the server. I think that's
pretty much the limit how much win95 can sustain.

Pete