Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 1996 01:41:09 +1100 (EST)
From:      michael butler <imb@scgt.oz.au>
To:        tom@uniserve.com (Tom Samplonius)
Cc:        rlenk@widget.xmission.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: spontaneous reboot with -stable

Tom Samplonius writes:

>   Not if you have a 2940.  The new ahc driver is really, really nice in
> comparison to the old one.  I'm now seeing record uptime's on a -stable
> system.

I certainly agree that, when the machine is running with the new driver,
particularly with tagged-queueing, it *screams* :-) but it only lasts a few
hours for me :-(.

Having reverted to a -release kernel, the same machine, in the same
configuration has not failed once. However, with "-stable", it reboots
within about 4 hours.

It was doing the same things as it's always done, a *very* light load with
Apache and sup file-serving. It's a UMC491C motherboard with an Intel
486DX2/66, 16 meg of RAM, IBM 1 gig SCSI-II attached to a recent Adaptec
2842. It has no serial or parallel ports.

Up until a minute ago I had a WD8003-EBT as -stable had also complained of
too many stray irq 7s with the 3C509 installed. I had temporarily replaced
it thinking that this may have been related to the reboot problem. It did
not and, I should add, the -release kernel also complains of too many stray
irq 7s when I reinstalled the 3C509. This problem is not specific to either
-release or -stable but simply to the presence/activation of the ep0 driver.
This is stupid, the 3C509's on irq 10! Selecting "-1" in the boot-time
config menu correctly reads irq 10 from the card's eeprom and then proceeds
to complain about stray ints :-(.

This latter problem, however, has nothing at all to do with the machine's
(in)stability which, at this stage, I can only conclude is related to some
change between -release and -stable and is possibly the latest ahc driver.

I've tried disabling either or both caches. Enabling and disabling
tagged-queueing and the full queueing extension slowing the RAM timing down
and speeding it up .. nothing I do to the machine with -stable running will
make it "live" more than a few hours,

	michael