Date:      Sun, 5 Jan 1997 05:18:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca>
To:        David Nugent <davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, FraFreeBSd Chat list <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD documentation

On Sun, 5 Jan 1997, David Nugent wrote:

> No, it isn't complex. Especially so if you've fiddled with html
> and got the idea of how a markup language works. Same principle
> (html is an sgml subset, with its own dtd).

I think what people really want (always a dangerous statement) is just a
properly formatted concise tag reference.  Reading DTD's to figure that
out (especially the linuxdoc one) is not very fun.

I don't like the idea of reading someone else's work to learn how-to write
linuxdoc documents...  Because of the nature of markup, mistakes (spec.
omitting markup where it should be) don't show up the same was as
*null_pointer...  Worse yet, they propogate in the same way as that
`telephone' game from elementary school.

> > I appreciate the fact that a guide would be helpful,
>
> Yep, it would. I didn't manage to find much helpful on the
> Linuxdoc dtd, though, after some hours of looking, and this

FWIW, I recall finding some things that were useful.  Mostly by that Matt
Welsh fellow.

Try the following url...

http://www.linux.locus.halcyon.com/Linuxdoc-SGML.html

> OTOH, the docbook dtd does come with a sizeable amount of
> documentation. It'll be good when that is finally integrated.

I always thought the reason a linuxdoc guide was missing was because it
was only a temporary in-between until docbook replaced it.

That said, one must admit that docbook is more complicated than
linuxdoc...  My .tar.gz file of docbook documentation is 500k.  It's
considerably more when decompressed (say 2.6MB more).  And I think its dtd
eclipses 100k.

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk