Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 1997 10:30:29 +0100
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   AMD K6  [ was Re: RSA 56-bit key challenge ]

On Sat, Mar 08, 1997 at 03:20:01PM -0800, David Greenman wrote:
> > [me]
> >Does that mean, that the Pentium Pro has a build in heat sensor ? ;-)
>
>    Yes, actually. I don't recall in which section of the PPro hardware
> manual this is documented, but it does indeed have a temperature sensor
> that shuts the chip down before it exceeds the level that would cause
> permanent damage. I was quite surprised when I read about this...

Well, sounds nice to me. BTW, heard interesting things about AMD's K6.
Currently I dislike Intels marketing strategy how they push the
Klamath, which is performing bad compared to the PPro ... And Intels
new Level one slot for "mainly" Intel CPU's ... I think you read already
yourself about it ...

Do you think, that AMD's soon coming K6 would be a good choice, since
it allows insertion into a ZIF 7 socket...

What do you think, will FreeBSD / gcc support the new CPU without
problems ? Any clues ? Should I wait for the K6 or buy a PPro
based board now ?

Heard a rumour, that AMD is going to make a chipset of their own,
that will allow bus speeds up to 100MHz.

Cc'd to chat, maybe some other folks have more infos upon this ;-)
Wish you a nice sunday !

	Andreas ///

--
andreas@klemm.gtn.com         /\/\___      Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH