Date:      29 Mar 1998 10:52:27 GMT
From:      peter@netplex.com.au (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems with commercial sound package OSS for FreeBSD-current

In article <19980327175305.19126@klemm.gtn.com>,
	andreas@klemm.gtn.com (Andreas Klemm) writes:
> Hi !
>
> I tried to install the OSS (Open Sound System) package from 4front:
> 	http://www.4front-tech.com/
>
> And I have problems running soundconf:
>
> soundconf* soundoff*  soundon*
> root{105} /usr/lib/oss ./soundconf
> /usr/lib/oss/oss.o: Undefined symbol `_imen' referenced from text segment
> /usr/lib/oss/oss.o: Undefined symbol `_imen' referenced from text segment
> /usr/lib/oss/oss.o: Undefined symbol `_imen' referenced from text segment
> /usr/lib/oss/oss.o: Undefined symbol `_imen' referenced from text segment
> modload: /usr/bin/ld: return code 1
> Cannot load OSS driver module.
>
> What happened with _imen ?
>
> Am running -current of March 8, 98 with BISDN and CAM.

And SMP?  _imen is a UP-only variable.  Is this a recent -current OSS
driver?  -stable and pre-SMP -current have references to things like _imen
because of inline spl() functions.  After the SMP stuff went in, this was
changed so that the splxxx() routines were not inlined, so that the LKM
interface was constant between SMP and UP kernels and LKM's should be
interchangeable.  I have not checked that this hasn't been broken since
then, I don't normally compile LKM's as they are disabled in make.conf.