Date:      Tue, 05 May 1998 15:10:55 +0300
From:      Priit Jarv <priit@cc.ttu.ee>
To:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   linux adom on FreeBSD

I was wondering if anyone has tried running linux adom (a roguelike
game) on FreeBSD? I have, and generally it runs ok, if it wasn't for
the terminal problems. I wouldn't bother otherwise, if wasn't such a
great and addictive game! I even contacted the author suggesting I could
produce a FreeBSD binary (he doesn't distribute the source), but he
apparently wasn't interested. So I figured maybe anyone here has
experience with running programs designed for linux console on FreeBSD.

I'm assuming the binary is compiled with ncurses, since it uses colors.
Basically, the way I've gotten it working is playing with the TERM
environment variable. So far, setting it to 'vt100' has been the best
solution. The screen occasionally scrolls up a by a line, if something
is printed on the last line, but generally it is most playable. 'xterm'
also works, and doesn't have the scrolling problems, but some parts
of the screen don't get updated properly. Recently I discovered that on
linux consoles the TERM variable could be set to 'linux' and I tried
that too.. voila! The game comes up in color, no scrolling, everything
seems ok, except that the '@' character (people who play roguelikes
should
know what I'm talking about) isn't displayed properly, probably
because it should be highlighted or something.

Btw, the default 'cons25' is also recognized, but doesn't work at all.
Other values for TERM produce an error message, 'foo':cannot open
terminal.

I'm running 2.2.5-RELEASE, linux_lib-2.4, and the adom binary is in
linux-elf format, if this information is of any use.

TIA, Priit.