Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 1998 10:39:12 -0000 (GMT)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, hoek@hwcn.org, jseger@freebsd.scds.com
Subject:   Re: how many tk version do oyu need...

On 21-Feb-98 Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>>    that was the reason for my third question :)
>>    But i still want to know what should i target to -- i believe tk80...
>>
>> You should ideally have them use tcl/tk81.  I plan to start changing ports
>> use tk81, I've just been really busy during this past week.
>
> that's ok for -current, but for -stable, consider that 2.2.6 is
> coming out relatively soon. it would be a shame not to complete
> the change before the release and have yet another tk version to
> carry...
>
> in other words, either one first moves all tk80 ports to tk81 (which
> is fine, hopefully the differences should not be too big) or it is
> better to start from the smallest set among tk41 and tk42 ports
> and move them to tk80 (might not be trivial... as shown by the
> recent problem i was having with vat, the code might compile but
> still not run as desired).

But there is a bit of a problem with the compatiblilty of the code Tcl
and C) itself to run under the different version of Tcl.  For example
anything using itcl cannot yet run under Tcl8x because itcl doesn't work
under Tcl8 yet.  Effectivly you are suggesting that we update the Tcl
package itself to a new version of Tcl on behalf of the original author.
Is this wise?

> in any case the last word should go to the release engineer...
>
>       luigi
---