Date:      Sun, 08 Mar 1998 14:19:37 -0800
From:      Stephen Wynne <stevemw@northwest.com>
To:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        stevemw@northwest.com
Subject:   VM Debugging: Problem with GDB and Shared Libs

I need help figuring out how to set a breakpoint in a shared library
(which has been compiled with -ggdb -g3 -O3 *or* -g -O). I'm trying to
debug the VM by setting up my environment variables by hand (in my own
script), and then invoking gdb on java_g.

I fail to set a breakpoint in java_main (even after running once).
Here's what happens:

(gdb) run Hello
Starting program: /usr/java/javasrc/build/bin/i386/green_threads/java_g Hello
Hello

Program exited normally.
(gdb) break java_main
Cannot access memory at address 0x20076b30.
(gdb)

Can anyone shed some light on this problem for me? I'm on FreeBSD
2.2.5-RELEASE with a cvsup'ed kernel on 2.2.5-STABLE with src-sys,
src-crypto, src-eBones, src-secure updated last Sunday.

If you have a hint for me, I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks,

Steve