Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 1999 03:42:58 -0400
From:      "Lanny Baron" <lnb@cybertouch.org>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD Certification...again

Hello Fellow FreeBSD'ers,
I would just like to say that it irks me to death that I must spend
$16,500.00 (canadian) to take a 23 week long immersion course to
be "prepared" for MCSE, Oracle and A+ certification. Although the
school (private) I am going to will touch on solaris for a whole week,
many people I have talked to on IRC tell me I am wasting my time.

However I am not. Here, in Toronto at least. Many companies
looking to hire people want to see 1) a university degree or 2) a ton
of experience they can call and get references on the applicants. 3)
Certification from recognized systems (for a lack of a better term).

It would be great if FreeBSD would come up with a program (self
study with exams or online at times that would coincide with what
ever it takes to make it worth FreeBSD coordinators time) that has
imbedded, the very least to which a person would be able to run a
network consisting of a FreeBSD backbone (meaning FreeBSD
would be doing the most important jobs for networking, mail and
interoperability between other OS's), implementing shares for MS
workstations like Samba, on the FreeBSD machines. And so on.

I am pretty sure some key or instrumental people are on this list.
And it is to you, that this letter is addressed. This FreeBSD
certification (the learning and the material) should not be for free. It
should be at a fair market price. It would at first be hard to
implement but not impossible, it would make FreeBSD a more
looked at product by the big wigs at companies that decided what
they will use for operating systems.

Linux is starting (or has already done so) this very soon. I don't say
this to keep up with the "Jones" but rather give those of us (not
totally competent) a chance to present ourselves as technically
proficient to prospective client or to a company as a position for a
career.

I will only assume that most of you on this list are quite proficient
in the usage and ability of FreeBSD. As a user of this great and
awesome product, I would love to put on a business card
"FreeBSD Certified" with the ability to show my records of passed
tests to the person I am trying to work for or sell my services to.

I truly hope that the people in the decision making group will really
take this seriously and come up with a starting list of what would
be needed for any specific level of FreeBSD certification.

Lanny Baron