Date:      Sun, 5 Dec 1999 01:39:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        "Chris G. Demetriou" <cgd@netbsd.org>
Cc:        Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>, Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>, gallatin@cs.duke.edu, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISP firmware compiled in as a default....

> Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com> writes:
> > Nope, I don't think so. I pretty much always had been downloading f/w.
>
> False.  see NetBSD sys/dev/ic/isp.c:
>
> revision 1.18
> date: 1998/01/28 19:09:24;  author: mjacob;  state: Exp;  lines: +9 -5
> Fix for port-alpha/4903- always download f/w unless config flags say
> no or we have no firmware to download.
>
> and/or:
>
> http://www.NetBSD.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=4903

False. Go to rev 1.1 of isp_pci.c && isp.c && asm_pci.h. F/W download
was conditional only there being a fwlen of non-zero.

You asked for a config option to turn off f/w downloads. Also, I started
trying, at one point, to pay attention to the f/w revisions in currently
running (i.e., loaded by SRM) f/w and not loading on top of that.

The latter turned out to be a lose because the version numbers vary
depending on what feature sets you have. It's also not clear where
Digital's f/w (which they probably do themselves) fits in.

> > There was a hop skip and dance with some f/w and Chris's machine
> > [ ... ]
>
> yeah: before that patch, you _weren't_ always downloading the
> firmware, and the DEC ISP firmware didn't work with your isp driver.
> 8-)

It does a better job now of working with older and different f/w sets.
We're talking about two years of fooling around with this now since then,
and while I'm kinda stupid, I *do* learn from experience.