Date:      Fri, 31 Dec 1999 14:15:05 -0800
From:      "George W. Dinolt" <gdinolt@pacbell.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-atm@freebsd.org
Subject:   SpeedStreem 3060 ADSL

I recently (today) had PacBell install a DSL line to my house. They
provided me with a SpeedStreem 3060 internel PCI "modem" card from
Efficient Networks, Inc. instead of an external interface with an
ethernet connection (as was promised.)

After some digging around, I determined that the card is running ppp on
top of ATM. Why it is done this way is beyond me. Maybe it has to do
with the fact that ATM is session oriented and this is a "cheap" way of
building a session. Has anyone had any experience getting such a card to
work on FreeBSD? If not, are there people who have started work on
building a device driver for such a card? I am not sure if I will be
able to convince PacBell to give me the other interface.

Thanks for any pointers or info
George Dinolt