Date:      Sun, 26 Dec 1999 12:42:54 +0000
From:      Robin Melville <robmel@nadt.org.uk>
To:        Gabor Esperon <gesperon@yahoo.com>, freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What database i can use?

At 9:05 am -0800 24/12/99, Gabor Esperon wrote:
>I need a good database server in my network, under
>FreeBSD 3.3
>
>What is recommended: Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL or
>another?

Previous responses by others are reasonable, although MySQL is better
than Berend de Boer  said for quick and effective apps using many
accesses - few (and not too complex) updates.

Another alternative is Interbase 4 in the ports collection. This is a
back version of Interbase (which is a commercial database) but works
very well & is free.

Other native FreeBSD SQL databases which you pay for are Yard
(http://www.yard.de/) and Solid (http://www.solidtech.com/) both of
which have strengths and weaknesses but are full SQL implementations.
You can also get trial versions of them.

Plenty to play with here :)

Regards

Robin.

Robin Melville, Addiction Information Service
Nottingham Alcohol & Drug Team
Tel:  +44 (0)115 952 9478       Fax:  +44 (0)115 952 9421
work: robmel@nadt.org.uk
Pages: http://www.nadt.org.uk/