Date:      Sun, 18 Jul 1999 00:26:52 -0700
From:      Eric Hodel <hodeleri@seattleu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Setting Flags in the kernel

I have a Dell Latitude LM (running PAO 3.2-RELEASE) with a touchpad that
is acting up.  It occasionally gives a:
/kernel: psm0: unable to set the command byte (psmopen)

When this happens, X dies.  Usually the mouse jerks back to its starting
position when using X.

I went to the psm man page and noticed that by setting flags, I could
get this thing to behave.  I wanted the low resolution, no acceleration,
and wanted to remove the sync checking.  I think this should add up to
(binary) 100000001, or 129, or 0x81.  I then rebooted and entered the
boot menu, and typed "set boot_userconfig=yes", then boot and went into
the userconfig, typed "flags psm0 0x81" verified that they were set,
then quit and continued the boot.  On the next reboot the flags weren't
set anymore.  What do I need to do to keep the flags set?  Also, is
there any other tweaks I need to make to get this touchpad to work
properly?